Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Not My Father's Somerville






                

                   Not My Father's Somerville       May 1, 2020

                 





 Written for the Patch when they were turning Somerville into a Sanctuary city, Not My Father's Somerville...

My Dad grew up near Union Square in Somerville the youngest of five children of Irish immigrants. His mother died when he was seven and his older sister, Mame, took over the maternal duties for her four brothers. My grandparents had a reputation for hospitality and a visitor to their two-family house would always be offered a bite to eat and something for their thirst. That was Irish tradition.

When a shipload of Irish immigrants came in to Boston, I was told my grandmother who came here as a newlywed would go down to the ship, look for faces from home and bring them back to her house if they needed a place to land their first night in America.

My Dad as a little boy remembers sometimes waking up with strange children in his bed. At some point, while deep asleep, he was gently turned crossways so that a couple of tiny pilgrims could fit along side him.

I have no memory of my Grandpa who died when I was three and all I know is that he was very kind and gentle, gracious to visitors and that he worked on the “El” or the elevated trains which ran roughly above where the Orange Line runs today and eventually was able to buy a two-family house near Union Square.

Some of us can remember the dark and thunderous noise of the El over Canal Street that was torn down in the ‘80’s to make way for modernization and the Big Dig.
For a decade we lived in Medford after raising our family out in Worcester County, I sometimes used the Orange Line and as I rode from Wellington past Sullivan Station I tried to imagine what my Grandpa would have done on the El. Would he have announced the stops in an Irish brogue? This would have been quite familiar to most of the passengers since the El served the Irish neighborhoods?

Riding on the trains these days I usually hear an incomprehensible announcement in English, I presume, but with a thick accent that I can’t quite unravel. Since I’m kind of new to the T, having moved in from the boonies, I look around to see if others are having trouble understanding the announcement. Virtually everyone is engrossed in their smart phone or have earphones wired to something and look lost in their audio/digital world. There is no eye contact at all. I squint at the map signage which is not large enough to be read from my vantage point hoping I have not missed my stop.

On the return trip I look excitedly out the windows like a little kid, watching the rapid changes in the landscape. There was the coming and going of the horse extravaganza, Cavalia, the construction site of the new high rise apartments and high-end shopping outlets opening in Assembly Row near my stop, Wellington Station.

Just over the Mystic River from Somerville is Medford, a city where once a proud sailing ship building center thrived. In recent decades Medford has been known as a haven for crime families which kept a kind of order on the street as in the North End and East Boston, but that is changing as more and more immigrants arrive.

On the eve of our Memorial Day celebration Mayor Joseph Curatone of neighboring Somerville decreed total amnesty and protection for illegals and, as he’s seen Governor Patrick and President Obama do, tried his hand at bypassing the US Constitution and Rule of Law which countless numbers have given their lives and limbs to protect.

The assaults are coming “Fast and Furious” upon our freedoms as the legislature debates a Gun Law that aims to limit the Second Amendment, while Mayor Bloomberg rallies mayors and Harvard grads to further disarm the populace. Ironically and sadly the graduating students are up in arms about sexual assault on campus.

We are living in cities with scores of Level 2 and Level 3 sex offenders, yet the current regime pushes for no accountability for illegals and more gun control for citizens; meanwhile a home invasion and brutal rape took place in neighboring Arlington.

.To cut to the 2020 chase here for political power I applaud the Rayla Campbell candidacy in hopes for a return to law and order.

I am appalled by the proposal for Polyamory.   https://ifapray.org/blog/polyamory-is-here-and-i-predicted-this/

If Somerville and Cambridge, the city of my birth, keep up their slouching to Gomorrah they could end up with the same fate.

 The "Sacred Cod" in the State House swimming upstream.