Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Re-contextualizing Froggie Went a Courtin' Part 3

Re-Contextualizing Froggie Went a Courtin' Part 3

Some of you may have been following the saga of Froggie my African Dwarf Frog (ADF) which I bought at Jay's Jungle in Provo a year ago this month. He or she is tiny only about 2 inches in length and so small that you really can't read the expression on its face. I am confused about the sex of this little underwater frog because when I introduced a second younger frog from Petco to the small tank the younger frog was more assertive and within a few minutes was mounted on the elder frog's back. So I thought we might have a breeding pair and I'd better find out about how to raise ADF's. I have a book on order but in the meantime I searched the internet and joined a couple of ADF aficionado Facebook groups. Apparently what I thought would be an uncomplicated, no work required, pet experience was going to be anything but. These people are frog-freaks who spend a lot of time and money on their frog babies and do not countenance what they consider helpless-animal-neglect in keeping the water clean, ph balanced and the perfect temperature. I decided to stay low profile on this group
I have to admit I was pretty fond of Froggie until I began to suspect that she is a Black Widow who will not tolerate interlopers in her now cushy10 gallon tank, a big upgrade from the under one gallon bowl I kept her in for the better part of a year until I began to feel guilty of neglect. I had inherited most of the paraphernalia from my grandson who had a goldfish that died. The bigger tank was my way of apologizing to Froggie for not filtering or even changing her water very often being afraid of getting Samonella. The nice sales associate at Petco talked me into a filter adequate for my tank which did seem roomy enough for a friend so I brought home Little Frank who apparently was an annoyance to Grogina we now called her “Gina” for short. But their relationship went south and before a week was out Frank laid pale and lifeless at the bottom of the tank and Gina stood watch. I interpreted it as grief but have later learned when I called Petco and spoke with Kristin that sometimes the older Alfa Frog will harass and stress out the newcomer. One feels like a detective sorting out all the clues. On a subsequent trip up north I revisited Petco and turned in Frank who had been chillin' in our fridge in a pill container. Jaden was very understanding and gave me a replacement ADF and made sure I bought some new filters for the tank.
Ka-ching ka-ching. In for a penny in for a pound. But unfortunately "Newbie" died as well of undetermined causes only a few days after he had been given a very hostile treatment when I put him in the "Trump Tank". Froggie was vicious and I had to separate them immediately. Newbie only lasted a couple of days. I will not be bringing home any more frogs for the Black Widow to badger to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xf0FSNt51ABruce Springsteen – Froggie Went a Courtin' Lyrics | Genius Lyrics