Wednesday, July 7, 2021

 Fish Fiasco and Amusements

We had a great time with the Colorado grandchildren at the Bay Days Carnival.
The parents bought the pkg deal for $20 for 24 tickets for rides including a Ferris wheel, a big slide, whirling strawberries you sit in with yourpeeps and calm little toddler rides and of course a carosel which went slow enough that I went with Jane age 10 and specifying we ride on the Palominos. I had a devil of a time trying to mount the thing while Jane held my bag and looked down sweetly from her tall blonde perch. They don't call them "amusements" for nothing. The ticket taker pointed out there was a pedal to step up on the other side and that saved my bacon from putting on a Lucille Ball performance for everyone.

.I declined going on any other rides having discovered I do not tolerate spinning very well. Luke, age 7, had one thing on his mind. The games, not the rides. They were cash only so Bappa took the boys to the booth and shelled out some cash and gave them all a portion of the 7 ping pong balls which when thrown and if they land in a very little fish bowl, a gold fish is the prize. Out of Jane, Luke and Jack, Luke got one in and went to collect his prize. After giving it some thought he offered it to Bappa to take care of since the car ride back to Colorado would be difficult for the hardiest of fishies. This was no feeder fish meant to be fed to bigger creatures but a fat little thing, white on the bottom and orange on top. We eventually decided to call her Lucy due to her flaming color.

We said our goodbyes to the Colorado contingent and to my surprise Lucy had already been brought home and Bappa found a suitable container which has also been used for Trifle desserts, a glass cylinder that has been in the past used to hold other short lived goldfish and our dear departed Froggie.  (You can find out what happened to Froggie on my blog...www.goodnewsboston.blogspot.com)

We did not have any fish food in the house so we made a shopping trip the next morning and Dave got an aeration system, extra line for air and air stones for diffusing air into the water as well.

Long story short we relocated the fish cylinder to the window. Later in the day I heard a funny noise while I was at my laptop. I should have gone to investigate. I might have saved Lucy. Hours later when we came home I went to look in her bowl and it was empty. Nada. Oh no, it happened again...We can only wonder was it suicide or was it the exhilaration of looking out the window or maybe she was missing her fish family?

I had to move some stuff before I saw her lying on the floor stiff as a board. David admitted he filled the bowl too close to the top, which is not an actual fish bowl but a cylinder which I have used more recently for Trifle after a thorough cleaning of course. Now I see why the fish bowl shape is shaped the way it is. Now that we have bought the food I feel like I want another fishy. Our phishtale is winding down. .Bappa went to see if the carni was s still there the next morning and if we could purchase another Lucy. They all looked the same. But alas they had left Bay Village which has statutes forbiding games of chance on Sunday.

Dave decided to pack up the fish pellets (Lucy only ate one) and the barely used aeration equipment and we took it back to Drug Mart for a cash refund. The refund covered the purchase of a big bottle of Jean Nate After Shower Spash which will always remind me of Lucy and the wild ride on the Palomino.

On the 4th we went to see the Bay Village fireworks which was nice but it lacked music which made it unsatisfying like the silent merry-go-round that Jane and I rode .I miss the Boston Pops and the 1812 Overture. Last July forth a cried my eyes out in Gunnison Utah to I Finally Made It to Arlington https://youtu.be/LPaXaZczlsQ

I took pix of us on the Palominos and our encounter with Cinderella and another Disney princess with a bow. Sorry I am not up on my Disney princesses but Jane is and she knew it was Cinderella and the princes from Brave. I kept calling her the Frozen lady. Anyway we got pix but my camera is bitching about storage space. I


have to work on my editing skills. It is always something with these gadgets.