Monday, July 26, 2021

Char Rides Again

Charleen Davidson Rides Again                                                      May 19, 2015


Charleen rides a Harley with her long dark hair flowing in the wind. She’s wearing in a supple black leather Jacket and pants for protection and wears black engineer boots for kicking doors down or just kicking her 350 engine over. She has a strong core, legs and arms for lifting her bike up if she wipes out on a sandy turn.

Actually, Charleen is my alter ego, my twin, my un-hindered self. In 2015 after a really horrible year of financial disasters, betrayal by business partners and crowned my husband’s cancer diagnosis, I have come out on the other side stronger. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and when people ask how I am I answer “If I were any better, I’d be twins!!

 Well, I just keep getting better and now she’s here…my twin, Char….deal with it.

She has an emblem on the back of her jacket a coiled yellow snake in 13 sections with the words “Don’t Tread on Me”. 

 


     The day the cardinal visited was the day JP died. There were many of them flying and tweeting as they flew faster than the eye and ear can follow in the morning when the first rays of dawn lighten the sky…just after it is darkest…the Call to prayer.

They flocked around the bird feeder filled with their favorite sunflower seeds which keep them healthy and returning during the winter months when snow covers the ground and clings to the branches making foraging difficult. A few smaller birds glean the smaller seeds that fall on the 2nd floor porch. All take turns at the feeder excited by the bright sunshine after the storm has passed and they come out to feast upon the black seeds favored by cardinals. The seed scatters under the feeder and on the porch rail. As I watched from the window just a few feet away they are getting used to me if I stay still. A male cardinal in his red plumage and crest peaked, cocked his head and looked right in my eye with his bright yellow eye. It was a riveting and most unusual exchange that I did not at first comprehend.

 Typically cardinals have black eyes. The eye that caught mine was yellow. Yellow/black snake. Yellow/black eye. Pondering for seven years.